Police: Carbon monoxide killed 3 tourists at Bahamas resort – ABC News

San Juan Puerto Rico – Police said Tuesday that carbon monoxide poisoning killed three American tourists who were found dead at a resort in the Bahamas in May.

Authorities did not provide further details, saying the deaths were still being investigated.

The two victims are Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, of Tennessee. and Vincent Chiarella, 64, of Florida.

Chiarella’s wife, Denis Chiarella, 65, was found alive and flown to New Providence for medical treatment, then transferred to a hospital in Florida. Her condition was not immediately known.

The couple were staying in separate villas next to each other in the same building at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort on the island of Exuma. It was not clear if the villas had carbon monoxide detectors and if they were working, and if they were working or not.

Police said the four tourists went to the doctor the night before their bodies were discovered and complained of feeling ill.

In a statement released a month ago, Sandals said the deaths were “in no way related to the resort’s air conditioning system, food and beverage service, landscaping services, or poor play.”

It was not clear what was the source of the carbon monoxide that killed the tourists. A Sands spokeswoman referred all questions to police, while Bahamas police spokesman Audley Peters said he was unable to provide information “at this time” and did not respond to further questions.

Sandals said carbon monoxide detectors have since been installed in all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay, and will be installed in all guest rooms elsewhere.

“We have taken additional measures such as engaging environmental safety experts for a comprehensive review of all systems throughout the resort,” the company said.

The deaths come seven years after a Delaware family became seriously ill at a resort in the US Virgin Islands. US authorities determined that methyl bromide, a highly toxic pesticide that was banned for indoor residential use in 1984, was to blame and was used at that resort several times.

#Police #Carbon #monoxide #killed #tourists #Bahamas #resort #ABC #News

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *